Animal Perishes in Wednesday Grants Pass House Fire

Yesterday, at approximately 4:41 PM, Grants Pass Fire Rescue responded to a report of a structure fire in the 900 block of Fruitdale Drive.

Upon arrival, firefighters found smoke showing from the single-story residential home. Firefighters quickly contained the fire within 10 minutes of arrival.

The fire was contained to the room of origin with heavy smoke damage throughout the home. Grants Pass Fire Rescue was assisted by Grants Pass Police Department and Rural Metro Fire Department. Nearby residents also helped by pulling a hose to a fire hydrant.

No injuries were reported, but an animal was located deceased after succumbing to smoke.

The cause of the fire was determined to be a candle burning in a bedroom.

Grants Pass Fire Rescue recommends the following safety tips for using candles:

  • Always place candles on a stable, non-flammable surface.
  • Keep candles at least three feet away from anything that can burn, such as curtains, furniture, and bedding.
  • Never leave a burning candle unattended.
  • Extinguish candles before going to bed or leaving the house.
  • Keep candles out of the reach of children and pets.

Source: GPPD

%d bloggers like this: