Roseburg House Fire Kills Two Dog, Displaces Family

At 6:01a this morning, Roseburg Fire Department personnel responded to a reported residential structure fire at 2071 NE Stephens Street, Space #A3.

Douglas County Dispatch received a report of a living room on fire with smoke and flames seen. The reporting party stated all residents had evacuated the residential structure.

Firefighters arrived on scene to find a fully involved doublewide manufactured home with fire venting from the roof and porch area. Firefighters made an aggressive exterior attack of the structure and quickly extinguished the fire. They also completed a primary and secondary search as well as overhaul.

Sadly, two family dogs passed away inside the structure. The primary home sustained extensive structural and water damage. Two adults and two children were displaced due to the fire; however, none of the adults or children were injured in the fire. The American Red Cross was notified and is assisting the family.

The cause of the fire is under investigation but believed to be caused by a space heater that was located in the living room of the residence. Thirteen firefighters assisted with firefighting operations.

Other agencies assisting with the fire included Douglas County Fire District #2, Umpqua Valley Ambulance, Avista Utilities, Pacific Power, Roseburg Police Department, and the American Red Cross.

The Roseburg Fire Department would like to remind everyone of the following heating safety tips:

  • Keep anything that can burn at least three feet away from heating equipment, like the furnace, fireplace, wood stove, or portable space heater.
  • Have a three-foot “kid-free zone” around open fires and space heaters.
  • Never use your oven to heat your home.
  • Have heating equipment and chimneys cleaned and inspected every year by a qualified company. 
  • Check the cord on portable heaters to make sure it is not cracked, frayed, or getting hot when in use. Extension cords should never be used with portable heaters as they can overload the circuit and cause a fire.
  • Remember to turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed.
  • Always use the right kind of fuel, specified by the manufacturer, for fuel burning space heaters.
  • Make sure the fireplace has a sturdy screen to stop sparks from flying into the room. Ashes should be cool before putting them in a metal container. Keep the container a safe distance away from your home.
  • Test smoke alarms monthly.

Source: RFD

%d bloggers like this: