AIR STAGNATION ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 PM TUESDAY
- WHAT…Poor mixing and weak winds mean that stagnant air is expected. This will lead to deteriorating air quality.
- WHERE…Valleys of southern Oregon and northern California.
- WHEN…Until 10 PM Tuesday.
- IMPACTS…Air stagnation is likely to result in diminishing air quality with time, especially in and near areas with significant sources of air pollution. Diminished air quality is likely to cause health issues for people with respiratory problems if precautions are not taken.
- PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS… People with respiratory illness should follow their physician’s advice for dealing with diminished air quality. N95 masks are effective at filtering out the majority of harmful air particulates. State air quality agencies highly recommend that no outdoor burning occur and that residential wood burning devices be limited as much as possible. According to state air quality agencies, prolonged periods of stagnant air can hold pollutants close to the ground where people live and breathe. Check with your local burn agency for any current restrictions in your area.
Source: NWS Medford